Why Would I Need Braces?
The American Association of Orthodontists has found that up to 75% of Americans are dealing with a “malocclusion” or “irregular contact of opposing teeth in upper and lower jaws.” This just means that a large amount of all Americans has crooked or misaligned teeth.
What Benefits do Braces Provide?
Orthodontists provide services to help those Americans who have crooked or misaligned teeth. The benefits of braces are:
- A beautiful smile can be restored
- The patient is able to properly chew his or her food
- The teeth are protected more thoroughly from cracking or breaking
- The bone structure of the mouth is preserved
- A patient will enjoy better oral hygiene. Because the crooked teeth have many crevices in which bacteria can hide, the bacterium can then gain a foothold and bring decay to the teeth. Straight teeth are easier to clean.
What is Invisalign?
The Invisalign system uses clear, plastic trays to slowly straighten crooked and misaligned teeth. Each tray carries out the straightening process a little further just as the process of braces does for your teeth. A 3-D digital image of your mouth is used create the custom straightening trays.
What are the Advantages of Invisalign?
The advantages of Invisalign that have made it a popular choice are:
- Better comfort – The aligning trays are made of a smooth plastic so they feel comfortable as opposed to braces which use wires and brackets that poke.
- Better treatment time – With Invisalign you will get results in 9-15 months but braces usually take 2-3 years to completely straighten the teeth.
- Better aesthetics – Braces come with the obvious wires and brightly colored bands but the Invisalign aligner trays are almost invisible.
- Better menu – Braces limit the foods and drinks you are allowed to have but since the Invisalign trays are removed for eating, you can eat whatever foods you desire and then reinsert the trays.
- Better oral hygiene – Brushing around wires and brackets is complicated and intimidating, but when using the Invisalign system you only need to remove the trays from your mouth. You will brush, floss and rinse and then replace the trays when done.